Lately I have been thinking a lot about why I started blogging. I’ve actually been blogging since about 2013 but it was never anything substantial. So there was a huge 5-year gap where I didn’t pursue anything concrete.
I then hit last April (2017) and decided I would upgrade to a personal plan on WordPress but still didn’t really pursue anything. Then once October 2017 came around, I bought a blog theme! I started writing more posts but nothing serious yet again.
Once January came around, I decided I was either going to go at this thing full force or not at all and that’s when I made the resolution to face blogging head on and to really step my game up. I decided to start doing one post a week every month.
I used this tactic for a while but I was also writing for another website and so that was basically two articles a week. I finally decided (LITERALLY in July 2018) that I was going to only focus on MY BLOG and do three articles a week. I stopped writing for the second site because this was MY BLOG and I wanted my voice to only be heard here.
Now how should YOU decide if this is for you? Let me briefly describe what a day currently looks like for me! That way you can kind of see what blogging will entail for you from a time perspective.
How to Decide If You Should Start Blogging Seriously (Or Not)
On the shuttle to work in the morning, I generally engage with my followers on IG (respond to comments, like photos, etc.), on my lunch break or in down time at work I’ll write blog posts, then when I get home at 5:30 I’ll grab my tripod and go take photos. This is typical for me and on the weekends it varies.
I also work in time to post on Pinterest because I recently started trying to expand onto other platforms (Here’s my post on how to gain monthly views on Pinterest) and I have just started branching out into Twitter and Facebook. That means that while I’m relaxing in bed at night I’m scrolling and interacting on those platforms as well!
IT IS A FULL TIME JOB. When I first started I was like “How?” But ever since I started upping my posts to three times a week and partnering with brands it has become pretty insane. That being said….I LOVE IT. I blog because 1) I LOVE to write things even if no one is reading it or 2) I love that I can hear people say how they loved something I wrote/how it helped them personally. I think it mostly stems from my want to help and inform others.
Questions to ask yourself to decide if this is for you or not:
1. Do I like writing? Blogging is A LOT of writing guys. Not just fun, casual writing either. Blog posts that do well are AT LEAST 500 words and you should strive for 1,000 words per post.
2. Do I like taking photos? This is probably obvious, but just for an example: I spend literally an hour sometimes trying to get the perfect flatlay for a post. It’s not just casual photo taking all the time!
3. Do I have a “voice” that comes through? If you ever do writing for a company, the first thing they ask or that they want you to have is your own VOICE. What sets you apart from other writers. That’s how you’ll make your own blog successful!
4. Do I know how to pitch myself (SO IMPORTANT)? No I don’t mean this just in the way of pitching yourself to brands. You have to get other people to like what you have to say! Blogging is constantly pitching yourself to everyone. You have to be ready for that!
5. Do I want to start monetizing my blog in the future? This is VERY important. If you want to monetize your blog, it’s best to make sure that you already have a game plan on how to do so! Get some research done, start some blogging Pinterest boards, grab a camera (or phone) and jump right in!
6. Do I have the budget to purchase a website, theme, etc.? My website with WordPress costs a pretty penny every year. I choose to self-host my site so I don’t have to go through anyone else, but be sure to look into the costs of blogging! I also bought this theme for my blog, presets for Instagram, and a tripod to take photos with.
7. Do I have 20-40 hours to dedicate to seriously pursuing this? I have had a few weeks of between my last semester of college classes and my professional internship with Disney and I have spent almost every single day doing things for my blog (and for at least 6 hours every time). I drove about an hour and 45 minutes away for an event, was at the event for two hours, and then drove back home in one day. I THEN spent two hours when I came back writing a post about it to publish the next day.
8. Do I know how to handle rejection/rude comments (I still work on this)? I’ve honestly been pretty lucky about this. People usually aren’t mean to me! I do have the occasional aggressive DM but that’s about it. You WILL; however, get rejected from brands but you have to learn not to take it personally.
9. Do I have the people skills to interact on social media with a lot of different people? I try to respond to every single comment on my posts y’all! I appreciate every person that follows me and interacts more than anything. I want them to KNOW I appreciate them and give a genuine compliment/comment back on mine or on one of their own photos! You also will likely do events if you start monetizing your blog which means lots of people interaction.
10. Do I know how to produce content people will like OR do I have the time to figure out how to create it? I spend HOURS scrolling through Pinterest and Instagram for inspiration. I never copy other people of course, but I do use photos to inspire some of my own! I also spend HOURS trying to figure other things out for my blog. It’ not easy!
These can all be WORKS IN PROGRESS. If you don’t feel like you can say yes to all of these that is TOTALLY OKAY. Blogging is 24/7 so you have all the time in the world to work on these attributes.
I hope this post helped you decide if you maybe wanted to start pursuing blogging as a side-hustle or an actual hustle! I love it so much and if it seems like something you also would love after this post I say go for it!
If you are a blogger and you have any tips that readers might like/your personal journey about blogging, PLEASE leave a comment below! I think it would be so great and helpful. As always, follow along on my Instagram as well at @sequinsandsales!