Today on the blog I wanted to share a more personal piece about my hair! To begin this post, I want to start with a little backstory on me and how I grew up. I’ll then follow it up with how I’ve grown since! In this post I wanted to share with y’all How I Learned to Love My Curls as a mixed woman with multi-textured hair. I’ll also give a mini hair care routine in partnership with Maui Moisture and Walmart!
“This post has been sponsored by Maui Moisture. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”
As I just said above, my hair is multi-textured and is anywhere between 3a to 3b! I also have literal straight hair that barely gets a curl on the underside of my curlier hair and it’s a very difficult task attempting to find products that work for all of it. Growing up, it was even harder because my mom didn’t know where to go for products! She was the best ever, but it’s not something you just learn how to shop for without a lot of trial and error.
In times like this, it’s important to stay safe. The past few months I’ve been purchasing all of my products online! Click here to see the Maui Moisture products I love and for the chance to save!
How I Learned to Love My Curls
My Curly Hair Journey
My personal curly hair journey was a decade long process (if not more). When I was a kid, I had gorgeous Shirley Temple curls that flowed and bounced as I ran. As I got older, my hair slowly started becoming more multi-textured and transitioned into being straighter on the top and curlier on the bottom!
I then cut my hair into a curly hair bob when I was around 8 years old and vowed to never do it again. I didn’t know how to style it! It’s hard to love your natural hair when you don’t know how to make it look cute (especially as a kid).
Middle school brought on a new discovery – HAIR STRAIGHTENERS. It was all the rage AND all my best friends had straight hair. I thought it was what I had to do to fit in! My eighth grade year I straightened my hair EVERY SINGLE DAY. I burned my hair into an unintentional bob and fried my curl pattern away like it had never even existed.
This was also the time when I realized straightening it while wet probably wasn’t the healthiest thing to do! I also loathed getting up at 5:00am to do my hair. High school brought an insane schedule where I worked AND played sports after school so I wore a bun on top of my head almost every single day! It was quick, easy, and efficient. I also still hadn’t been able to find products that worked for me.
When I started my Freshman year of college, I really felt like I needed a change. I felt like I was in a rut and knew I wanted to change my hair somehow! I decided to straighten my hair and chop off about 10 inches of my hair (with fabric scissors I might add). My best friend thought I was insane, but after I did it she said she loved it!
Once I did my big chop, I learned how to nurse my curls back to health. College student = cheap and BOY HAD I BEEN CHEAP. I had been using $1 shampoo and conditioner and I swear it relaxed my hair into almost being straight. This caused me to start a new process. I would grow my hair out, then periodically start chopping off the damaged hair! I did this for about a year and the results were amazing.
As an adult, I now have 3b short hair that is somehow both curly and frizzy. I’ve come to the conclusion that I will ALWAYS have a little frizz since I live in Georgia. That being said, I’ve now learned how to utilize products the best to give myself the least amount of frizz! For example, it’s best to use hair creams and then follow up with oil based products to seal it.
How to Love Your Curly Hair
1. Determine your hair type. This is seriously the thing that helped me the most! I tried product after product and found they were either too alcohol based or too oil based. One makes my hair frizz and the other makes it look greasy and wet! Discovering my hair type helped me figure out what I need to look for in hair care products.
2. Find products that work for YOU! You’re not going to be happy with how your hair looks unless you find products that make it look the way you want. YES this takes a lot of trial and error, but it’ll be worth it. Be sure to check out Maui Moisture products like I did and see if they work for your own curls!
3. Realize that curly hair is UNIQUE and that you’re special! Not everyone was blessed with the ability to have massive amounts of volume like you were. Yes, rain can ruin your day, but I’ve found I still get compliments even if I think my hair is a frizzy mess!
4. Get a hair cut that fits YOU! I had long curly hair until I decided on a whim to cut it all off. Like 10 inches. That had taken 5 years to grow out. That said, I absolutely love having short hair! I grew it back out for a year in 2019 and realized short hair is for me. It’s also fun to try out short curly bob hairstyles that I find online!
5. Work WITH your hair and not against it. I straightened my not completely dry hair for a YEAR y’all! Every single day! It was immensely unhealthy for it and I virtually burned away my entire curl pattern. My hair broke completely apart too! Work with your hair and make sure you take care of it.
My 3b Curly Hair Products – Maui Moisture
As I mentioned at the top of this post, Maui Moisture sponsored this post! I’m excited that I got to work with them because I’ve been scouring the internet for the best new curly hair products lately. I noticed my previous products left me with a lot of buildup (which you can easily get rid of by mixing 1 part apple cider vinegar with 4 parts water and leaving it on wet hair for 5 min) and I didn’t like that!
I started looking into more natural 3b hair products and Maui Moisture has so many options (I also love the diversity they have on their home page). They have filters on their product page where you can shop by hair type which is AMAZING. I filtered on “curly” to see what came up and knew I wanted something to help with dry hair!
I love Maui Moisture’s Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk line because it’s EXACTLY what I need to help my hair! It’s also great for 3b hair care because it moisturizes without weighing my hair down. This is something all girls with 3b hair should be sure to look for when shopping for type 3b hair products.
The products that I love to use personally are the Maui Moisture Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk Shampoo, Maui Moisture Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk Conditioner, and the Maui Moisture Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist! These three products combined allow me to have shiny curls without the frizz! I also want to walk y’all through my daily hair care routine as well. Keep reading to see my process!
My Daily Hair Care Regimen
1. Wash my hair. Once I get off work and finish exercising, I wash my hair. For curly girls, not washing your hair every day is actually a benefit. It allows the natural oils to nourish your hair and also helps it to not get too dry!
I usually only wash my hair twice a week in the winter (Thursday and Sunday) and base it around my blogging schedule. In the shower I’ll shampoo with my Maui Moisture Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk Shampoo and then condition with my Maui Moisture Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk Conditioner!
2. Add product to my hair. I comb my hair in the shower while it’s wet and while it has conditioner in it with a wide toothed comb. I’ve noticed this helps my hair not get as damaged and it helps it get less tangled! I then get out of the shower and add my leave-in hair products to my hair.
3. Wrap my hair in a t-shirt. When I wash my hair I always wrap it in a t-shirt overnight! Drying your hair with a t-shirt is better for curly hair than using a towel (no matter what the fabric content). I’ve noticed it’s helped my frizz so much and I’ve gotten used to sleeping this way twice a week!
4. Re-wet my hair and add additional product. In the morning, I’ll take my hair out of my t-shirt wrap and re-wet it with a water bottle! This is basically my version of a wash and go style. I then add a little bit more product to just seal my hair with moisture.
I also love using my Maui Moisture Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist too! The way I utilize this product is when I use a little too much product and my hair gets that sort of crunchy texture. Adding a little oil loosens up my curls just enough!
As an adult, I love my curly hair! How I learned to love myself was by learning to love my curls. It was a long process to get to this point, but with great products (like the ones above from Maui Moisture), I’m able to style it to perfection. I hope this post has helped you start to learn how to love your curly hair if you didn’t before! Curly hair is a GIFT and you should be excited to be a curly girl.
Be sure to remember that you can grab all of these Maui Moisture products are online!
If you guys did enjoy this post, be sure to head over to my homepage (on desktop) or scroll down (on mobile) to subscribe to my blog! That way you’ll never miss out on another post. Not ready to commit like that? Be sure to follow me on any of the social media platforms below to always know what’s happening over here at Sequins and Sales!