Pecan Shortbread Meltaways Recipe
I decided I would do my FIRST recipe over on Sequins and Sales! On my Instagram stories the other day, I mentioned that for my birthday I just wanted to make my FAVORITE cookies ever. My mom and I make them every single Christmas season (even though they are most definitely NOT holiday specific)! They’re Pecan Shortbread Meltaways and they are the best things to ever exist y’all.
The original recipe I used was in the 2014 December edition of Family Circle Magazine, but I changed up a few of the things they did! I absolutely love how they turn out every time and they make sooo many cookies it’s crazy. It says 4 1/2 dozen and my mom and I always wonder how we’ll make that many and we always do!
I figured I would start by posting the official recipe of the Pecan Shortbread Meltaways and then kind of go through the process of how I make them personally! While making these, I did change up a few things and I want to explain how I go through the process myself to give you guys the best help. Below, I also have a PDF download of the recipe as well!
Pecan Shortbread Meltaways Recipe:
1 Cup (2 Sticks) unsalted butter, softened (I use it straight out of the fridge)
1 Cup confectioners’ sugar (Another name for powdered sugar)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Cup finely ground pecans (I use a blender to grind them up and it’s quick & easy)
1 Cup confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (This will be used at the end twice)
Electric Mixer (I found one (here) for only $12)
Plastic Wrap (For when the cookies are cooling) (I linked some for $4 (here))
1 Bowl ( For mixing the dough) (I found a 3-PACK (here) for just $9)
Baking Tray(s) ( You’ll likely need 3-4 trays because it makes so many) (I found a set of 3 trays for just $15 linked (here))
4 1/2 Dozen (So, if you’re bad at math like me, roughly 54 cookies) (YES, it will make this many. I was only short one when I made them)
Time To Prepare:
I put an asterisk here because it only takes about 20 minutes to make the actual cookie batter, but then you have to let it rest for 1-2 hours!! (Side-note: One way I edited this a bit is that I rolled it into a large log to let it cool. I then let it cool for 1:20 min and it was a little too firm. I suggest 1 hour only).
Time to Cook:
Since you’re making so many, you’ll likely need 3-4 baking trays. While shaping some of them into crescents, it’s easiest to just throw the largest tray in and then keep shaping the rest of the cookies out. Just keep adjusting the timer as needed!
Before the Oven:
1. Beat butter and confectioners’ sugar until smooth & creamy. Add Vanilla. Now for this part, it’s likely you’ll be scared the batter is too dry. IT ISN’T! It’s a shortbread batter so it’s supposed to be that way. It will get more and more creamy as you beat the mixture though.
2. On low speed, beat in flour and pecans. Wrap dough in plastic wrap & refrigerate 1-2 hours*, until firm. As I mentioned in “Time to Prepare,” I suggest only refrigerating it for one hour. It was a bit firm trying to shape the dough into crescents when left for any longer.
3. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Pinch off pieces of dough & shape to form small crescents. Now, feel free to switch it up and do any shape you want, this is just the classic one and the one I’ve always used.
In the Oven:
4. Place on ungreased baking tray(s). Bake at 325 for 19-20 min, until lightly brown. As I said above, be sure that you have at least three trays to make these. It makes a little over 50 cookies so be prepared for that! Make sure not to toll them too large.
After the Oven:
5. Remove cookies from oven. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Cool completely. Dust again with confectioners’ sugar. The sugar is the cherry on top of this whole recipe! It’s so delish and elevates the flavor. I also decided to roll them in sugar before putting them into the oven this time and they turned out just as yummy!
I hope you guys enjoyed this Pecan Shortbread Meltaways Recipe! I swear you won’t be able to stop eating these. Cookies that taste better cooled are DANGEROUS. If you liked my adorable apron or oven mitt, I got them from Shop I Love Jewelry! I also linked some other cute ones under $20 below:
If you guys liked this post, be sure to subscribe to my blog over on my home page (on desktop) or by scrolling down (on mobile). If you aren’t ready to commit, be sure to head over to my instagram @sequinsandsales!